How it Started

When I was 12, I found a blank ledger book. It was a treasure beyond treasure to me. I debated and debated about what to do with it - it had to be something special. Finally I decided to make a list of things I wanted to do and places I wanted to see in my life and then cross them off when I had accomplished them. At first they were simple things, but soon I was adding dramatic things, impossible things, but things still worth dreaming about. Oddly enough, putting them on the list somehow made them attainable. I have kept the book and updated the list my entire life. Here is the story behind some of the entries - successes and failures, embarrassing and proud moments, laughter and tears - the ridiculous to the sublime!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Spit off a Bridge - DID IT

I was in high school when the opportunity presented itself while on a walk with a new "sorta" boyfriend.  A proper sort of guy, not prone to silliness.  I was overcome by the urge to fulfill that item on the list.  I waited and debated, walked and thought.  At mid-span I couldn't control myself.  It was a freeway overpass, so I had to be careful not to land a spitball on anyone's car.  That wasn't the point of doing it.  I waited until traffic cleared and as daintily as possible, hack a glob onto the pavement below.  I watched it fall slowly until it disappeared from sight.  My companion stared at me for a minute, then leaned over the edge and did the same.  "Why did we do that?" he asked.  I just shrugged. We walked on.

That's the funny thing about my List of Things To Accomplish, most of them have absolutely no reason - asked to explain them, I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment