How it Started

When I was 12, I found a blank ledger book. It was a treasure beyond treasure to me. I debated and debated about what to do with it - it had to be something special. Finally I decided to make a list of things I wanted to do and places I wanted to see in my life and then cross them off when I had accomplished them. At first they were simple things, but soon I was adding dramatic things, impossible things, but things still worth dreaming about. Oddly enough, putting them on the list somehow made them attainable. I have kept the book and updated the list my entire life. Here is the story behind some of the entries - successes and failures, embarrassing and proud moments, laughter and tears - the ridiculous to the sublime!

Friday, January 14, 2011

See King Tut's Treasures - DID IT

What I meant was to see the treasures from King Tut's tomb in their natural habitat, what I did was see them at the museum when the touring exhibit came through Seattle.  While I agree that it's a bit like saying I want to see a Wombat, then checking the box because you saw one at the zoo.  It's sort of true, but not exactly right.

On the other hand, I don't have time for that level of perfection.  I checked this box after standing in line in the rain for what seemed like hours with my best partner-in-crime, Phyllis (she was Ethyl to my Luci for many years).  We each had a toddler by the hand and were very pregnant.  What possessed us to take two little kids with us is a really good question.  Likely we reasoned that since babysitters were expensive we could count this as an educational experience for the kids. I probably learned more about parenting that day than they learned about Egyptian history.

This little adventure and a few more like it taught me to listen more to what my kids needed/wanted to learn at that point in their lives, not what I convinced myself they needed. Why drag kids through learning experiences that are years beyond their ability to comprehend and remember when they would learn more by doing more age-appropriate things.  At this point, the toddlers were much more intrigued by Muppets than Mummification.  Don't give kids a 3000-year-old gold death mask when a gold star sticker will do.

Oh, and a two-year-old crawling under a security rope sets off alarms - word to the wise!

No comments:

Post a Comment