How it Started

When I was 12, I found a blank ledger book. It was a treasure beyond treasure to me. I debated and debated about what to do with it - it had to be something special. Finally I decided to make a list of things I wanted to do and places I wanted to see in my life and then cross them off when I had accomplished them. At first they were simple things, but soon I was adding dramatic things, impossible things, but things still worth dreaming about. Oddly enough, putting them on the list somehow made them attainable. I have kept the book and updated the list my entire life. Here is the story behind some of the entries - successes and failures, embarrassing and proud moments, laughter and tears - the ridiculous to the sublime!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Buy French Pastries from a Boat - DID IT


Sometimes the items on the list are put there after the fact.  Who could know that there is a boat that cruises the canals of Barra de Navidad, Mexico, a sleepy fishing village on the Pacific Coast, offering fresh French pastries for breakfast.  Once I heard of the existence of this cultural oddity, I knew it had to go on the list, and I had to have some.

The boat travels down the short canal at about 8:00 a.m. just as the last of the oranges and golds of sunrise are rinsed from the January sky.  It tinkles a tiny bell as it approaches the residents' docks.  The day's selections of flaky pastries are displayed in red milk crates; plain croissants, pain au chocolat (croissants filled with dark chocolate), fromage et jambon (ham and cheese), l'almond (I think you can figure that one out for yourself).  Just for the fun of it, I politely ordered in my best French.


We sat on the dock letting the morning sun warm our faces as we munched our unexpected treats, scavenging every crumb off of our pajamas.  A nearby wild Iguana was doing the same, warming up and munching on his morning bugs - to each his own!

Isn't the world an amazingly diverse place?

No comments:

Post a Comment