How it Started

When I was 12, I found a blank ledger book. It was a treasure beyond treasure to me. I debated and debated about what to do with it - it had to be something special. Finally I decided to make a list of things I wanted to do and places I wanted to see in my life and then cross them off when I had accomplished them. At first they were simple things, but soon I was adding dramatic things, impossible things, but things still worth dreaming about. Oddly enough, putting them on the list somehow made them attainable. I have kept the book and updated the list my entire life. Here is the story behind some of the entries - successes and failures, embarrassing and proud moments, laughter and tears - the ridiculous to the sublime!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Ride on a Submarine - DID IT

It was a recreational submarine - not a military one nor a Disneyland ride.  This was on Grand Cayman Island.  It was a real submarine and you can see by the depth gauge that we actually submerged.  Once down there, we puttered around the reef and watched fish, some scuba divers, and a large turtle swim by. Everyone had a window seat.  I am a bit claustrophic and the thought of being underwater in a tube made me very nervous, but I did it, eventually I relaxed and enjoyed it.
Steve served onboard submarines in the US Navy and I had an opportunity to tour his sub when it came out of the yard and before it sailed for parts unknown.  Even though it never submerged while I was aboard, I was still bothered by claustrophobia in the tight confines.  His tours of duty lasted 3 months underwater without seeing dry land - well, actually without seeing anything but the inside of the sub. He did four tours while I waited onshore in Groton, Connecticut.  He rated the recreational sub as little more than an amusement park ride, but it was enough for me to check it off my list.


No comments:

Post a Comment