How it Started

When I was 12, I found a blank ledger book. It was a treasure beyond treasure to me. I debated and debated about what to do with it - it had to be something special. Finally I decided to make a list of things I wanted to do and places I wanted to see in my life and then cross them off when I had accomplished them. At first they were simple things, but soon I was adding dramatic things, impossible things, but things still worth dreaming about. Oddly enough, putting them on the list somehow made them attainable. I have kept the book and updated the list my entire life. Here is the story behind some of the entries - successes and failures, embarrassing and proud moments, laughter and tears - the ridiculous to the sublime!

Friday, February 11, 2011

Drive the Road to Hana - DID IT

The Road to Hana was the holy grail for adventurers on Maui - okay, maybe not anymore - they have improved the road a lot in the last 20 years - we drove it in '89.  There is a sense of adventure inspired by a rental car agreement that clearly states you drive to Hana at your own risk - they will not come rescue you, and you cannot take the car any further, the remainder of the road is impassable. Hmmmm.

Let me just say that if you plan to drive to Hana, get a small car. I reserved a small car, but my sister and I made the mistake of sending the boys to get it.  The salesman offered them a Lincoln Continental Town Car for only 10 extra bucks a day. We drove the Lincoln to the beach, the mountain, over the river and through the jungle. Whew, by the end of a week of snorkeling around Maui, it earned the title of Stinkin' Lincoln.  We drove it to Hana. In retrospect we failed to realize that getting there was only half the trip. I've never been so carsick!

 The Road to Hana is the steepest, twistiest, scariest, narrowest, vertigo-inducing road I've ever been on.  Blind hairpin turns, and places where the road hugs the cliffside dropping hundreds of feet to rocks and surf below.  I want to know who it was that said, "Hey, I have an idea.  Let's build a road here!"  Or maybe they really said, let's build a donkey path, not guessing that 100 years later some nut would drive a Town Car on it.

Tarzan vines hung from the trees, waterfalls spilled from hundreds of feet above, lush jungle surrounded you the entire way.  It really is a lovely place, and I would have enjoyed it so much more if there hadn't been a religious memorial marker at just about every turn.  That's a little unnerving.

Although I did come to understand the need for praying on that road.

No comments:

Post a Comment