How it Started

When I was 12, I found a blank ledger book. It was a treasure beyond treasure to me. I debated and debated about what to do with it - it had to be something special. Finally I decided to make a list of things I wanted to do and places I wanted to see in my life and then cross them off when I had accomplished them. At first they were simple things, but soon I was adding dramatic things, impossible things, but things still worth dreaming about. Oddly enough, putting them on the list somehow made them attainable. I have kept the book and updated the list my entire life. Here is the story behind some of the entries - successes and failures, embarrassing and proud moments, laughter and tears - the ridiculous to the sublime!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ride on a Police Boat - DID IT

Not all Police Departments have boats, but if you have jurisdiction over a marine environment, it's a must.  Our Police boat wasn't built for comfort.  It was built for speed, maneuverability, and space for equipment. In addition to the normal Law Enforcement Officer gear, it also carries several members of the Police Dive Team and all of their gear. It gets crowded.

Our  little boat has some limited capabilities to squirt a bit of water on a fire, but only enough to hold it down until the fire boats can get there with their big water cannons (see blog "Ride on a Fire Boat" http://checkthediditbox.blogspot.com/2011/01/ride-on-fire-boat-and-truck-did-it.html ).  Here we are on a summertime, Police Boat ride-along - oops, we seem to have gotten the wrong life vests - AMATEURS!



One of the primary duties for Harbor One is to provide a protective surveillance shield around the docks when the big cruise liners are in port to swap passengers headed to and from their Alaska cruises. Sometimes it looks like a little gnat buzzing around a hippo when you compare the PD boat to the cruise ships. 


The Boat Team also performs law enforcement duties on the water, helps with water searches, and provides protection for all the ships in port.

 
On the left is a grain ship being loaded.


On the right one is the big (8400 TEU) ZIM Los Angeles container ship about to be off-loaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment