How it Started

When I was 12, I found a blank ledger book. It was a treasure beyond treasure to me. I debated and debated about what to do with it - it had to be something special. Finally I decided to make a list of things I wanted to do and places I wanted to see in my life and then cross them off when I had accomplished them. At first they were simple things, but soon I was adding dramatic things, impossible things, but things still worth dreaming about. Oddly enough, putting them on the list somehow made them attainable. I have kept the book and updated the list my entire life. Here is the story behind some of the entries - successes and failures, embarrassing and proud moments, laughter and tears - the ridiculous to the sublime!

Friday, May 20, 2011

Wear a Vintage Dress to a Party - DID IT


I had always wanted to wear my vintage 1940 couture mink coat and muff somewhere.  I had a great hat to go with it, but I just didn't have the right dress or shoes until a friend, Dawn C., loaned me something from her amazing collection of vintage wear. Trying on dozens of wonderful outfits from her closet was almost as much fun as the party I wore the outfit to.  Sure the shoes were so uncomfortable that I ended up walking back to the car barefoot at the end of the evening and spent the next day nursing my bruised feet, but it was worth it. It was incredibly fun.  I even drew lines up the backs of my calves to look like seamed stockings.

The occasion was Alaska Airlines' 75th anniversary party where guests were encouraged to wear attire from any one of Alaska's eight decades.  I chose the 40's and even managed a rolled bun in a hair net hair style.

The lady in red was the grand prize winner of the costume contest and she deserved it, everything about her outfit right down to the hat, pearls, and glasses were picture perfect for a matron in the 1950's.  Everyone was so into it, the outfits were incredible.  Here's a few of the classics.

My buddy Luci and her ever-so-good-sport date, John, completely destroyed any chance of a "come-back" for the disco era with a blue polyester double-knit leisurewear on him and God-only-knows what she's wearing!  John saw her in this outfit and later married her anyway - that's true love!  These are two of the funnest and funniest people I know.


Cheryl and her pals rocked the 70's Motown look.


Elegant friends Denise and Fay time-traveled from the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers era.

Anna and her husband brought Sonny and Cher to a whole new level (I'm not saying raised or lowered, just a NEW level!)  There were hundreds of amazing outfits that I didn't get pictures of, much to my regret.

Why doesn't the world encourage grown-ups to play dress up more often?  I think it would be a kinder, gentler - and very fun - world if we did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment