How it Started

When I was 12, I found a blank ledger book. It was a treasure beyond treasure to me. I debated and debated about what to do with it - it had to be something special. Finally I decided to make a list of things I wanted to do and places I wanted to see in my life and then cross them off when I had accomplished them. At first they were simple things, but soon I was adding dramatic things, impossible things, but things still worth dreaming about. Oddly enough, putting them on the list somehow made them attainable. I have kept the book and updated the list my entire life. Here is the story behind some of the entries - successes and failures, embarrassing and proud moments, laughter and tears - the ridiculous to the sublime!

Saturday, April 30, 2011

March in a Parade - DID IT

It always seemed like so much fun to be in a parade, at least it looks like it when you are standing on the sidelines.  The colorful floats, throwing candy to kids lining the route, the music, balloons, clowns, funny cars, fire engines, marching bands; it's just all so exciting and every minute there is something new - unless you happen to be IN the parade! 

When you are one of the entries IN the parade, you don't see anything but the entry in front of you.  Like the old saying about sled dogs goes, "Unless you are the lead dog, the view never changes."

 We decided to enter our 4-H Obedience Dog club drill team in the local parade.  Oh, the crowd loved us, a motley collection of mismatched dogs (Club Name = Muttley Crew), doing synchronized turns, sits and comes.  It was really cute.  The route was about 3 miles long, it was blistering hot on the asphalt and there was a group of horses in front of us that insisted on pooping every 100 feet.  Sure they scooped it up, but the smell drove the dogs insane! At times we were more like a synchronized sniffing group.  Directly in front of us was a marching band with a one-song repertoire.  I'm no longer a Sousa fan!  But it was memorable, that's for sure - just one of the many mis-adventures my friend and club co-leader and I got ourselves into during our Luci and Ethyl / Laverne and Shirley phase!

No comments:

Post a Comment